Maintaining a healthy alkaline balance in the body is essential for good mental and physical health. The alkaline diet is a way of eating that helps to promote this balance by emphasising alkalising foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, and limiting acid-forming foods, such as sugar and processed grains. It is based on the premise that certain foods can affect the body’s pH levels, making them either more alkaline or more acidic. Proponents of the diet believe that by eating alkaline-forming foods and avoiding acid-forming foods, you can reduce your risk of chronic disease.
Here are five of the top alkaline foods to include in your diet:
1. Lemons – one of the most alkaline fruits that can help to balance the pH levels in your body. They are also a good source of Vitamin C and can help to boost your immune system.
2. Basil – an alkaline herb that contains a compound called eugenol, which has shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
3. Spinach – a nutrient-rich leafy green vegetable that is alkaline in nature and an excellent source of vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, and magnesium.
4. Broccoli – another alkaline vegetable that is packed with nutrients. It is rich in fibre, vitamins, and minerals, and has been linked with a number of health benefits, such as improved digestion and reduced inflammation.
5. Quinoa – an alkalising grain that is high in protein and also a good source of fibre and essential vitamins.
Drink lots of water
Additionally, drinking plenty of water helps to flush out acids and promote alkalinity. Drinking alkalised or filtered water is an even more effective way to balance alkalinity as it reduces the amount of acid in the bloodstream. The most common pH level for drinking water falls between 5.5 – 6.5, whereas alkalised waters are closer towards 7.5 or 8.5.
Exercise regularly and reduce stress
Regular exercise also helps to release toxins from the body that can contribute to an acidic environment. Not only does exercise make you feel better mentally and physically, but it balances your alkalinity too! Managing stress levels is also incredibly important, as stress can lead to an increase in acid-producing hormones. These hormones will increase the acidity levels in the body, resulting in lethargy and poorer mental health.
There are many benefits to an alkaline diet, including improved digestion, increased energy levels, and reduced inflammation. For those looking to improve their health, the alkaline diet is definitely worth considering. Find out more about how at Alkaline World, Australia’s #1 provider of alkalising health products.
By Sarah Panther