Bathing, an ancient practice and deeply rooted in history and ritual, has bonded humanity and cultures across time and space. The once necessary practice of public bathing is resurging as a cornerstone of wellness and new bathhouses are opening everywhere; with thermal and mineral springs having their own particular benefits. Let’s have a look at just some of the reasons why a visit to one of the many thermal mineral springs around Australia and the world might be the perfect way to relax, rejuvenate and reconnect.
1. Boron found in some thermal mineral springs can build muscle mass, strengthen bones and increase brain activity; while sodium and magnesium can alleviate arthritic and muscular pain, stiffness and tension. The buoyancy offered by mineral springs can also help increase the range of motion of sore muscles and limbs; and bathing in heat can increase blood circulation and loosen tight muscles.
2. Hot springs can be detoxifying – with hot water helping to dilate blood vessels and promote better circulation, and also increase perspiration which can result in toxin removal. Regular bathing and immersion in mineral springs can oxygenate cells and help to rebalance our nervous systems, which in turn has a detoxifying effect.
3. Still trying to get over that late-winter cold? Hot springs can boost immunity and fight illness too! Heat can increase white blood cell production, which helps to fight off infection and illness; and particular minerals in the water can help to bolster immunity and boost healing to damaged tissues.
4. Bathing in hot water and minerals such as potassium and magnesium can help to cleanse and nourish the skin, and improve elasticity. Many hot springs and day spas also offer facial treatments, mineral mud baths and other skin-nourishing activities.
5. The calming effect of bathing in thermal mineral springs can do wonders to quiet the mind, alleviate stress and often reconnect with nature when the setting is nestled in beautiful surrounds such as Metung Hot Springs, Maruia Hot Springs and Peninsula Hot Springs. Combining bathing with a gentle yoga session at the Peninsula Hot Springs’ ‘Hot Springs Yoga’, is a unique and replenishing experience!
These are just some of the many benefits of immersing yourself in bathing culture and thermal mineral springs.
By Sarah Panther